I would definitely consider myself a makeup lover.
I’m a total product junkie and I love experimenting with different colors, textures and styles when it comes to painting my face. However, as much as I love it, I really only go “all out” every now and then. Even this “no-makeup” look is really a one or two times a week thing. Sweating throughout the day while teaching sweaty classes like spin + a full face of makeup is just a terribly combo for my skin. When I’m out running errands or bumming around with my husband on the weekend, though, I like to have on a leeeettle something. Enter my go-to “no makeup makeup look”. As we all know, even a “no makeup” look still requires quite a bit of products! For me, when it comes to the I Woke Up Like This look, I’m all about two things: flawless, dewey skin and perfectly groomed bold brows. When it comes to the bare face look, I like to focus on two things only. For years I was all about the bronzer and mascara. However, I’m really, like, really digging this strong highlight trend right now and find myself toning down the lashes and winged liner in favor of a strong brow taking center stage with a sparkling complexion as the backdrop. Here’s how I do it!
Prodcuts listed clockwise from top left.
1. Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette: I rarely use this on my toned down days. However, I do grab it if I’m extra tired and my eyes need a hint of depth. I use one of the lighter shades in my inner corners and brow bones and one of the bronzy shades buffed into the outer corner of my upper lid.
2. CoverGirl Lash Blast Mascara: LOVE this mascara! It is my end all, be all of mascaras! I’ve been using it since my junior year of college and haven’t looked at another mascara since.
3. Sephora Brand Eyeliner: For whatever reason, when I’m doing my minimal look I hate “wasting” my good liners. I just use the slightest touch of this light gold liner on my inner water lines. It wakes up my eyes without being as dramatic as a white or blue liner.
4. Stila/NYX Highlighters: When focusing on skin, I’m all about the highlighters! These two are my favorites. I’ve been using this Stila highlighter since high school, the color is THAT perfect!! It’s luminescent and a touch sparkly without making you look greasy or obnoxiously glittery. I use the Stila on my cupid’s bow, tip of my nose, chin and forehead. I use the NYX on my cheekbones to highlight my blush and give a bronzy glow.
5. MAC Strobe Cream: Again, this is another product that has been in my rotation since I was in high school. I discovered it when I was 15 or 16 getting my makeup done at the counter one day. In high school I used it as a primer, in college I mixed it in with my foundation to create my own tinted moisturizer and now I use it all those ways and more. Sometimes I use it instead of foundation. If my skin is being super sensitive and I can’t put any makeup on it, I just rub in some Strobe Cream and I feel good to go. It just makes you glow, with or without anything added to it! If I have to run out of the house with nothing on, I always make sure to rub a bit of this into my skin just to make sure I look healthy and refreshed. I also use it as a primer before foundation and still mix it in with my foundation now and then. Basically, this stuff is life.
6. Maybelline BB Creams: These guys were probably one of my best discoveries of 2014! I bought them on a whim at Target while I was looking for lashes. I use the one for acne prone skin (it has 2% salicylic acid in it) on my face and the Pure one on my neck and chest. I never break out from this product and it’s light enough to wear on those days where I really don’t want it to look like I’m wearing anything. It basically just evens out your skin without actually covering it.
7. Anastasia Contour Kit: I’m so pale right now that my beloved NARS bronzer has been put on hold. In its place I’m loving this contour kit. I swipe a bit of the darker colors under my cheekbones, around my jawline and neck and around my temples. It warms up my face without making me look muddy. I use the lighter colors to set my concealer.
9. Maybelline Fit Me Concealer & Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer: Ok, let me throw it out there, I hate high end concealers. I cannot stand them. I’ve tried MAC, Nars, Bobbi Brown and countless others. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t do them. They’re soooo thick and cakey and feel incredibly heavy on my skin. I feel like they magnify my fine lines. These two drug store concealers are perfectly light and absorb right into my skin flawlessly! They’re nowhere near as thick as the high end concealers which is what I like, but I’m pretty sure they’re just watered down concealers which is why they’re so much cheaper. This may not work for everyone, it’s just what works for me. I don’t use concealer to actually conceal anything, I use it as a light highlighter. I don’t have dark circles or red spots that need the thickness of most concealers. What I do have is puffiness under my eyes and fine lines around my outer eyes and upper forehead. I find that thicker concealers cake around those problem areas instead of hiding them. The lighter drugstore concealers don’t cake into those areas and brighten up them up naturally instead.
10. MAC Paint Pot in Painterly: This is my eyeshadow base every time I use any makeup. If I don’t use any Naked 2 shadows, I just wear this on my lids. It covers the little veins on my lids and never, ever creases. When I do use shadow over it, it helps it blend impeccably.
11. NARS The Multiple in Orgasm: A quick swipe of this on the apples of my cheeks is all I do for blush. It looks like a perfectly natural flush and is soooo creamy.
12. Sephora Eyelash Curler: Couldn’t live without this.
One product that isn’t pictured that is a constant standard is MAC’s Fix + Spray. I always finish off any makeup look with it!