I am mildly obsessed with skincare.
Thanks to my mother, my sister and I both started taking care of our skin, both face and body, at a very early age. I first started using anti-aging products in high school and haven’t stopped since. My mom has her certain standby products that never leave her rotation, products that I remember from my childhood that I still find on her vanity when I stop by my parent’s home today. I, on the other hand, have the worst loyalty ever when it comes to skincare. I pretty much rotate what I use constantly. The only thing I’m really loyal to are certain brands, like Kiehl’s. I’ve been using their products since my late teens and I will probably never stop. Aside from Kiehl’s, I’m pretty open to trying new things. I do tend to stick with what works for my skin but I always switch things up seasonally, plus my skin responds well to new formulas. I’ve noticed that certain products seem to “stop working” after a while as my skin gets used to them. However, these are the few and proud that I’ve been using rather consistently all winter and my skin has been loving every last one of them. It may be unbearably frigid and dry outside but thanks to these guys my skin has been hydrated and dewy despite the weather.
1. Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash – Ok, this is a product that hasn’t left my rotation in two years. I actually first discovered this from the W Hotel in NYC. The W carries bliss products in the bathroom and I was swooning over the luxurious little minis. I first tried the face wash during this stay and was quite amazed at how clear and glowy my face was after only one wash. I brought the sample sized bottle home with me and continued to use it and found that it did a miraculous job of clearing up my skin without drying it out or leaving any kind of funky film. It has a light, fruity fragrance that is divine and the exfoliant is just subtle enough that it doesn’t irritate delicate, dry, winter skin.
2. Boscia Luminizing Black Mask – I have my sister to thank for this fabulous find. I just recently started using this mask and already I’m hooked. My skin is not acne prone but working in polluted NYC and sweating it out in a gym for a living takes a toll on my pores and the combination can leave me susceptible to break outs if I’m not diligent with a cleansing routine. The only problem is that too much cleansing will dry out and irritate my skin. I’ve found that I cannot wash my face multiple times a day or after each class so what I need is a powerful cleanser or mask to use at the end of the day to remove the dirt and impurities of the day from my pores but one that also hydrates and isn’t too harsh or abrasive, especially during the winter. This mask is perfect for that combination! It clears your pores but also leaves you with soft, radiant skin that moisturizer can soak right into without causing clogging.
4. Evian Facial Spray – I know this product is an eye roll, but I really don’t know why because it’s one of the BEST things out there. During the winter when my skin is on the dry side is great as a mid day refresher. If my skin feels dry and tight I’ll mist this and then rub in some moisturizer and the combination brings my skin back to life immediately. I also use this on my skin after every mask application. Sometimes my skin can feel kind of dry and I don’t like putting moisturizers onto bone dry skin, basically I like to seal in as much moisture as possible. After I remove a cleansing mask I will mist with this spray and follow with moisturizer.
5. Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil – I have combination skin and the parts that are oily are OILY so I did a lot of research before purchasing this product. What I found was that even people with oily skin benefit greatly from oils so I figured it was worth a shot. Also, my skin dries out quite a bit during winter months and especially now with all the exposure to chlorine. After a swim my face feels painfully tight and dry and this oil is incredibly soothing. I have yet to have even the slightest breakout from it and when I put it on at night I wake up with the most beautifully hydrated and CLEAR skin. I may have to switch her light formula once summer comes but for now, I’m living for this product.
6. Kiehl’s Imperiale Repairateur Moisturizing Eye Balm – yes, the moisturizing continues. I’m a freak about it in the winter, what can I say. I absolutely love my Kiehl’s Avocado Eye Cream but I just hit the bottom of that tub and decided to switch to this balm since it has more anti-wrinkle properties. My crow’s feet are the first area of my face to show fine lines so I’m pretty obsessive when it comes to eye creams. If you’ve been reading this blog you know that I also slather eye cream onto my forehead and between my brows to prevent wrinkles there as well. That’s something I’ve also been doing since high school and I swear it works! I can only use this balm at night because it’s quite thick and pretty much looks like you have globs of vaseline on your face–makeup doesn’t go over it too well. But, it’s the perfect thing to use before bed!
7. Glamglow Thirsty Mud – THIS IS LIFE!!! I love it SO much that I even bought a jar of it for my sister for Christmas. I want to scream out to the world that every woman should be using this stuff. It makes my skin GLOW like nothing else. When I first started using it even Dan could see the difference in my skin. I wear it overnight 3-4x a week. It’s also recommended to use a hydration mask while flying to keep your skin moisturized in flight. I cannot wait to use this on the plane for our upcoming trip!
8. Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix – Like I said, the conditions of my job aren’t the most conducive to clear, flawless skin. When breakouts happen this is my go to. This stuff is a miracle cream. I put it on a zit at night and the next morning it’s either completely gone or about 80% better. It takes away redness and swelling and my favorite part about it is that it doesn’t dry out my skin like almost every other acne product does. It’s pretty much the perfect spot treatment for us combination skin guys and gals.
9. Sun Bum Sunscreen Lip Balm – The BEST lip product out there! Working in the city has me doing a lot of walking outside and if I don’t protect my lips they get horribly chapped. I never use any lip product without SPF in it. Lips show signs of aging very easily and quite quickly if you don’t take care of them. I obsessively use SPF on them to keep them plump, healthy and wrinkle free for as long as I possibly can.
10. Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 – This is my other go to lip balm. The Sun Bum is my every day one but the Sugar balm is what I use when my lips are already super dry or chapped. It’s very rich and healing.
11. Philosophy Fresh Cream – This is my second bottle of this stuff since December and I am using it so sparingly trying to savor it as best I can. The scent is so strong and I love it because it’s sweet without being overkill. It’s got a really fresh scent to it so you can smell kind of vanilla-ish without smelling like you’re a walking bakery. It’s a lovely, thick cream that perfectly quenches parched winter skin.
12. EOS Shave Cream – I’ll be honest, unless it’s winter I never use shave cream. I think it’s a total waste of money and an unnecessary product. In the summer I just run the razor over my legs in the shower or use a drop of conditioner to shave. However, during the winter my legs will get straight up flakey (ew) if I shave like that so I had to cave and get some shave cream. This stuff is perfect, it’s pretty much the same consistency as lotion, it doesn’t lather up like other shave creams. It gives me a really close shave and leaves my legs super soft. Also, since it doesn’t require a huge lather a little goes a long way, this stuff lasts FOREVER.
13. Illume Coconut Milk Mango Perfume – I don’t do the whole seasonal scents thing. I like to smell like summer all year round. Every time she sees me my friend Melissa tells me that I smell like vacation. Yup, that’s pretty much what I go for and this guy right here delivers! It smells like sunshine and sandy beaches. I carry it with me everywhere.
14. Laura Mercier Hand Creme – Like everyone else, I wash my hands way too much during the winter. We’re all paranoid of germs and constantly scrubbing our paws or rubbing in harsh hand sanitizers. That’s why a thick, rich hand creme is my best friend this time of year. Of course, said creme has to be scented and this is my current favorite.
Hope you enjoyed this list! Let me know if you share the same love for any of these products or if you try any of them for the first time! I’m clearly a bit of a product junkie so if there’s anything you love and can’t live without, please share!