Today I turn twenty seven years old.
The other day my sister, who’s three years younger, texted me to say “I can’t believe you’re going to be 27! I always wondered when the day would come where you’d be a certain age and I’d be like OMG WE’RE GETTING OLD. Well, this is it”.
Ok, she was joking. But it got me thinking. Old is the absolute last thing I feel. Maybe I’ve always loved the number 7, maybe I’m simply in a good place in my life but deep down inside I have a really good feeling. I’m excited about turning 27. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as confident in my own skin. For the first time in my life I feel like I can confidently, securely say “no” without prefacing it or following it with “I’m sorry”. For the first time in my life I can go out without a stitch of makeup on and still feel radiant. For the first time in my life I feel like I’m actually utilizing coping skills to deal with my anxiety, and for the first time in my life I feel like it’s working.
I’ve reached a point where I am embracing who I am, truly. Flaws and strengths. I admit to my faults and I work at them but I no longer downplay my strengths, nor am I embarrassed to call attention to them. I’m a wife, sister, daughter, friend, dog-mama, fitness professional, artist and writer. I’m an eternal optimist and something as small as a sprinkle (or lots of sprinkles) makes me happy. My identity is not just one linear thing but a multitude of strengths, weaknesses, talents and relationships all rolled into one. Most importantly I am blessed. I’m alive, healthy and one of the lucky ones who has a support system made up of a wonderful family and equally outstanding friends. The ones who’ve been there for all of, the majority of and some of my 27 years.
So today I want to take a moment to reflect on twenty seven things I am deeply grateful for.
1. My faith in God
2. My health
3. Dan & Gatsby
4. My family
5. My friends
6. Waking up early enough to see the sun rise
7. Sunsets. Especially on the beach
8. Living close enough to the coast to bury my toes in the sand anytime
9. Really freaken good manicures
10. Living with a man who still manages to make me laugh every. single. day.
11. Coming home to fresh air and sooo many trees after a long day of work in the city
12. Being happy in my career and loving what I do
13. Having the desire to get lost in a delicious novel every chance I get
14. Watching Gatsby’s butt wiggle and sashay as he walks back into the apartment after a walk
15. Waking up to my husband every morning
16. Having been able to travel and experience all the places I’ve been
17. Warm puppy snuggles
18. My education
19. Scented candles
20. A body that continues to let me jump high, run fast and do all the crazy things I love to do
21. A really good night’s sleep
22. Big, fluffy clouds against a bright blue sky
23. Moments when you laugh so hard you cry and pee at the same time
24. A lived in, soft pair of daisy dukes
25. Crisp, cold white wine
26. Living close enough to the coast to (almost) always have access to fresh seafood
27. Simply being alive